FACT: Pennsylvania has the most inequitable public school funding in the United States.
• Spending in poor school districts is 33% lower per student than in wealthy districts.
• State funding covers about 1/3 of a district’s budget, compared to 50% in most states.
• In 2016, the legislature adopted a Fair Funding Formula to distribute funding based on need.
• Only about 9% of state education funds are currently distributed through the new fair formula.
• The whitest school districts receive about $2,100 more per student than their fair share, while the least white districts get about $2,100 less per student.
• Using the Fair Funding Formula for 100% of the funding,
-Philadelphia would receive $1,691 more per student per year,
-Reading would receive $6,025 more per student per year.
• HB 961 would distribute 100% of state education funds through the Fair Funding Formula.
Urge your state representative to support HB 961. www.powerinterfaith.org